Friday, June 5, 2009

Care Conference


Amy here. I helped give Duncan a sponge bath today and took this picture of the nurse helping me dry his hair and afterwards with that cute concerned look. Also we had a Care Conference today (meeting with doctor, nurse practitioner, social worker, nurse). Top three things I learned at the care conference: Duncan should never smoke; Amy should get more sleep; Amy should eat more ice cream. (I promise the doctor said those things!) Christian will report on the other important things we learned. --Thank you, Amy, for that kind introduction. The doctor reported that the clot in his brain has gotten smaller. We keep praying it will continue to do so without blocking off the opening to his spinal cord, which is very unlikely. His lungs are developing slower than they'd like. He could have chronic lung disease-- they'll evaluate that later. The good news is that if he has it, they say it's not necessarily permanent, because the lungs replace the sacs (alvioli?) every couple years. Hence, the instruction to avoid smoking. You can be sure that I will be very careful not to give him any cigarettes. He'll have to make due with an occasional pinch of chewing tobacco for the time being. Also, news on his heart: the doc says he will not need surgery on the PDA (patent ductus arteriosis)! The hole in his heart had gotten smaller (I don't think they've done an echo cardiogram in a while.) the last time they looked. He still has a murmur and they may do another echo before he leaves the hospital if they think it's needed. They say he'll need to stay away from people for a long time. No animals, no dust, no malls, no bug spray, no grocery stores. I fear he'll start dressing in a brown robe, go bald, begin to chant harmoniosly, and start making wine. Amy might join him. I got to hold him on my chest tonight (kangaroo). He did pretty well, but my belly is big and my breast bone is bony, so I don't think it's very comfortable for him.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! A pinch of chewin tobaccy! Amy, call me when you want ice cream, I have Dilly bars in the freezer!!!!

    ReplyDelete