Monday, May 11, 2009

Blood



I went to visit my little one and ran into the Doctor and Nurse practitioner in the hall and they told me that he was looking pale so they tested his blood and it showed low something I can't spell, so they were going to transfuse him. I was glad because the nurses had told me that he will feel and do so much better with his new blood. Then I realized that transfusion means a new IV. Poor baby. Right as I walked in the nurse was gearing up for the procedure of finding a vein. So I was glad at least that I could be there to help comfort him and talk to him while she put an IV in his wrist. I actually helped the nurse with the needle and tape so I was like an assistant nurse for like one minute:) Duncan did fine. He didn't even cry. I helped him keep the pacifier in his mouth and he sucked happily away through the whole thing. I hope to go back soon and see if he is feeling better and doing well with the transfusion. Just a little plug for donating blood. I wonder if any of us ever realized that donating blood could save the life of a 2 lb baby. I never thought about it until now. One donation gives Duncan four transfusions of the same blood. The doctor listed off for me the procedures they go through screening blood for premature babies and he said it is the cream of the crop blood. Probably a person who took care of their bodies and treated them like the temples they are. I hope some of us can take some time to donate some blood in honor of my little one. If I could talk to that person who took the time to donate to my beautiful child I would be speechless, overcome with gratitude and love. Thank you all for your support and especially your prayers. In quiet moments at his bedside I feel power surrounding him. I know that power comes from the faith and prayers of so many people we love.

2 comments:

  1. Back in the days when I could donate blood, my card was marked as a bloodgiver for babies. I never really thought about it in this sense. I do hope that it was able to help some little ones like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy! What a blessing it is to have Duncan in your lives...I love reading that he is doing well and hope that this transfusion will help him even more! You're continually in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete