Wednesday, May 20, 2009

First Outfit





They decided it was time to remove his pic line today. He is doing well with his feeds and up to 20 ccs so they stopped his pic IV and now he has no medications that can't be taken through the mouth. He takes a dose of caffeine every morning (do you think I should have told them we don't drink coffee?). The caffeine helps him remember to keep breathing, which isn't a natural thing for a micro-preemie to do. If it helps him breath better they may try the nasal cannula but they are continuing with a conservative approach so I don't expect it tomorrow. I am excited at least to have that site for infection gone and his arm free from tape an wires. I got to put his shirt on and I thought it looked more like a dress. I think preemie clothes are meant for 5 pounders not 2 lb 15 ouncers. One more ounce and he is 3 lbs! He's so happy about he gave me a smile while I held him (the middle picture) I think that is a smile? It's not gas, who smiles when they have gas? Now I better get some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. People who say babies don't smile have never been around mighty spirits who are here ready for life and loving their families. Looks like a real smile to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great news! I think and pray for this boy everyday. You are such a great writer, Amy. I feel like I can feel how soft he is and smell that baby smell when you write. Here's to one more ounce!

    ReplyDelete