Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tonight I got to hold Duncan for the 2nd time ever. I held him for about an hour and a half. He did really well except that when I started to zone out his heart slowed down. An alarm (of which there seem to be dozens) went off to indicate it, but I didn't know what it meant. 2 nurses came over and told me to rub his back. I did, but not hard enough, so a nurse joined in. They told me it's fairly common for the heart to slow down like that. Amy says it's because a preemie's body gets comfortable and it forgets to breathe, have a heart beat, or what-not. It happened again about an hour later and I knew what to do. No nurses were needed. Amy says they won't let him go home from the hospital unless he's no longer having apnea (stopping breathing). I wonder how much apnea he would experience at this stage if he didn't have the breathing assistance. Amy tells me he was off the CPAP (breathing assistance) for 3 or 4 minutes today and did well on his own, without any assistance in that span.

No comments:

Post a Comment